Thursday, January 7, 2016

The Grand Unification Theory of History and Science

My background is in science, specifically, Vertebrate Geobiology. Throughout my life, I have been involved in the sciences. My father, the engineer, and my mother, the museum science curator, may have had something to do with this. I also maintain a strong interest in history. The two subjects are linked. Think about this question, “At what point does Paul Revere become obsolete?” As you consider this question, what is Paul Revere known for? Delivering a message as fast as he can and making things out of metal (metallurgy).  In the classroom, I rely on props to keep students thinking. A prop could even be a question. If I were teaching a STEM focused history course, I would have a question like this as a prop. Written or illustrated on a foam core that could be moved around the room, I would start with this in a prominent place in the room so that it was omnipresent. I would move this prop around to keep it fresh and to make sure that the students kept it in the back of their minds. From experience, students will occasionally ask, “Is he obsolete yet?” or “Why have we never answered that question?” What do you think about this statement? “All major events in history are tied to major advances in science.”

No comments:

Post a Comment